May 10, 2012

Graduates

I apologize for the recent silence here on the blog - things here have been so busy, starting with the end of an era.(How long is an era anyhow? I've been in a school a long time, so I'm sure I qualify!) Jeff and I both graduated with our Bachelors degrees from BYU last month! Jeff got a degree in Exercise Science, and my degree was in (what else?) photography.

 There were probably some people who wondered if this day would ever come, and I have to admit I had wondered a few times myself. When I got into the photography program and essentially started my college path completely over just a semester shy of graduating in my previous major, I had to take a huge leap of faith, believing that this was what I really wanted to do and that it would be worth it. I'm happy to say it was more rewarding than I ever could have imagined. Difficult, time consuming, anxiety-bringing, but rewarding. I've had to stand up to people who tell me that photography is not a "real" major, and learned to let other ignorant comments slide off my back, ranging from people expressing shock that photography was something you could study to assumptions that I was in a foofy major where we didn't even really get graded. Does every art major go through these things? I'm sure that they do.

 I've learned so much in the photography program at BYU, and seen my work grow by leaps and bounds. The wonderful professors helped push me beyond where I would have gotten by this point had I only been in this journey myself. I'm so thankful for everything that they have taught me, both on the subject of photography as well as finding the type of person I really want to be.

 I would apologize for the large amount of pictures about to come, but I'm just ridiculously proud...so I won't. :)

 Also, a handful of these black and whites were taken, developed and scanned by the guy in the bowtie (my dad).byu photography program graduationbyu photography program graduationbyu photography program graduationbyu photography program graduationbyu photography program graduationWhen your brother is nine, every family picture gets a crazy face.byu photography program graduation
I am so grateful for my parents. They have supported me both financially and emotionally throughout all of this, and I never could have done it without them.byu photography program graduationbyu photography program graduationbyu photography program graduationbyu photography program graduationbyu photography program graduation


byu photography program graduation
Obligatory 'We did it!!' excitement-byu photography program graduation

2 comments:

kirsten said...

Congrats, Linnea! It's an amazing feeling to be done!
(2nd to last photo is my gave)

Brittney Erb said...

Congratulations!!! And cute graduation pictures!!
I can't believe people would say that about the photography major. One reason I chose my horticulture major was because I thought it would be useful while raising a family, but in the past few years I've come to really envy my sister's photography degree as being way more useful than mine. Photography is such a beautiful way to capture precious moments in life and preserve those memories. You have gained such amazing skills I know you'll use them for the rest of your life.